Plans to register Sunday schools under government counter-extremism strategy dropped

A senior government source told The Times that the Church of England considered "the idea of registration too draconian". Reuters

The British government will drop plans to require out-of-school groups involving children to register with the local council following a personal intervention by the Archbishop of Canterbury, The Times reports.

According to the newspaper, Archbishop Justin Welby raised concerns about the plans with senior members of government.

The Department for Education announced the plans last year which would force institutions that teach under-19s for more than six hours a week to register. The move was part of the government's counter-extremism strategy and came after concerns children were exposed to extremist views in a small number of Muslim madrassas.

Many church youth groups and Sunday schools could have fallen above the threshold and therefore would have had to join the register and face inspections by government officials.

A coalition of Christian charities in April accused Ofsted, the schools' inspections body, of becoming the "state regulator of religion" and urged Christians to oppose the plans.

CARE, Christian Concern, the Evangelical Alliance, the Lawyers' Christian Fellowship and The Christian Institute signed the statement which labeled the plans an "unacceptable overreach of the state". A spokesman for CARE at the time told Christian Today this coming together "demonstrates both the worrying nature of the government's plans and the strong resolve within the Christian community to stand up for the freedom to teach the Christian faith to the next generation without unnecessary State interference".

A senior government source told The Times that the Church of England considered "the idea of registration too draconian".

"That requirement has now been dropped," the source said. "It still means that Ofsted can go in if there is reasonable cause, but it will remove the requirement to register."

An announcement is expected to be made by the government "in due course", a spokesperson confirmed.

related articles
David Cameron needs to stop his bigoted intrusions into religion
David Cameron needs to stop his bigoted intrusions into religion

David Cameron needs to stop his bigoted intrusions into religion

Do churches need Sunday schools for adults?

Do churches need Sunday schools for adults?

What to do if your children don\'t want to go to church any more
What to do if your children don't want to go to church any more

What to do if your children don't want to go to church any more

We should all be worried about Government\'s plan to tackle \'extremism\'
We should all be worried about Government's plan to tackle 'extremism'

We should all be worried about Government's plan to tackle 'extremism'

Plans to register and inspect churches 'profoundly misconceived', warn evangelical charities

Plans to register and inspect churches 'profoundly misconceived', warn evangelical charities

News
Nigeria: 11 killed in night attack by militants
Nigeria: 11 killed in night attack by militants

11 people were killed in yet another massacre in Nigeria

Quakers respond to police raid with worship meeting outside Scotland Yard
Quakers respond to police raid with worship meeting outside Scotland Yard

Quaker activists will protest against a raid on their Meeting House by the police

Can ordinary Christians learn from the Amish? 
Can ordinary Christians learn from the Amish? 

From questioning the use of technology to taking the Bible very seriously, we can learn more than quilt-making and horse-and-buggy riding from these quirky American communities.

NI conversion therapy proposal will criminalise innocent behaviour
NI conversion therapy proposal will criminalise innocent behaviour

A proposal to ban conversion therapy in Northern Ireland has been labelled "jellyfish legislation".