France mobilises 10,000 troops after Paris shootings

France will deploy 10,000 soldiers on home soil by Tuesday and post almost 5,000 extra police officers to protect Jewish sites after the killing of 17 people by Islamist militants in Paris last week, officials said.

Speaking a day after the biggest French public demonstration ever registered, in honour of the victims, Defence MinisterJean-Yves Le Drian said the country remained at risk of further attacks. Soldiers would guard transport hubs, tourism sites and key buildings and mount general street patrols.

"The threats remain and we have to protect ourselves from them. It is an internal operation that will mobilise almost as many men as we have in our overseas operations," Le Drian told reporters after a cabinet meeting.

The victims, including journalists and police, died in three days of violence that began on Wednesday with a shooting attack on the political weekly Charlie Hebdo, known for its satirical attacks on Islam and other religions. Many at Sunday's march wore badges and carried placards declaring "I Am Charlie".

The Charlie Hebdo attackers, two French-born brothers of Algerian origin, singled out the weekly for its publication of cartoons depicting and ridiculing the Prophet Mohammad.

Charlie Hebdo's remaining members are working on an eight page issue due to come out on Wednesday with a one-million copy print run. Its lawyer, Richard Malka, told France Info radio there would be caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad.

"We will not give in. The spirit of 'I am Charlie' means the right to blaspheme ," he said, adding that the front page would be released Monday evening.

The three days of bloodshed ended on Friday with a hostage-taking at a Jewish deli in Paris where four hostages and another gunman were killed. That gunman declared allegiance to Islamic State insurgents and said he was acting in response to French military deployments against militant Islamist groups overseas.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said 700 police officers would be placed at all 717 Jewish schools across the country in addition to some 4,100 gendarmes already deployed.

"Synagogues, Jewish schools, but also mosques will be protected because in the past few days there have been a number of attacks against mosques," Prime Minister Manuel Valls told BFM TV.

The first two attackers, who had travelled to Yemen in 2011 for training, were killed on Friday after a siege north of the capital. Police said all three men were part of the same Paris-based militant Islamist cell.

Over 1.2 million people marched in Paris on Sunday and 2.5 million more in the provinces. The Paris march was led by dozens of foreign leaders. Some commentators said the last time crowds of this size were seen in the capital was at the Liberation of Paris from Nazi Germany in 1944.

article,article,article,article,article,article,article Related

SEARCH FOR ACCOMPLICES

The co-ordinated assaults amounted to the deadliest attack by militant Islamists on a European city since 57 people were killed in an attack on London's transport system in 2005.

Valls said police were searching for likely accomplices. The Turkish government confirmed that the female companion of the supermarket attacker had entered Syria on January 8 from Turkey, having arrived in Istanbul several days before the killings.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, British Prime Minister David Cameron, who was holding an emergency security meeting of his cabinet on Monday, and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi were among 44 foreign leaders marching with French President Francois Hollande on Sunday.

Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu - who on Sunday encouraged French Jews to emigrate to Israel - and Palestinian PresidentMahmoud Abbas were also present and walked just a few steps from one another. Netanyahu is due to visit the supermarket on Monday.

With growing calls for a comprehensive investigation into whether there had been security failings given that the three gunmen were known to intelligence services, Valls and main opposition leader Nicolas Sarkozy agreed on a bi-partisan parliamentary commission into the attacks.

Valls also said the government had begun studying ways to strengthen the fight against "homegrown terrorism". Francebeefed up anti-terrorism legislation last year to prevent its nationals travelling to Syria and Iraq.

The prime minister said one proposal being studied was to isolate radical Islamists from the rest of the prison population as repeated cases showed individuals were susceptible to radicalisation in jail.

"There is a lot of work to be done in the prisons. It's a priority," Valls said.

related articles
Richard Dawkins makes scathing remarks about religion after Charlie Hebdo attack
Richard Dawkins makes scathing remarks about religion after Charlie Hebdo attack

Richard Dawkins makes scathing remarks about religion after Charlie Hebdo attack

Pope Francis asks God to \'change the hearts\' of the Paris terrorists
Pope Francis asks God to 'change the hearts' of the Paris terrorists

Pope Francis asks God to 'change the hearts' of the Paris terrorists

Britain to increase security in Jewish areas after Paris killings
Britain to increase security in Jewish areas after Paris killings

Britain to increase security in Jewish areas after Paris killings

Paris killings: suspected accomplice Hayat Boumeddiene may be in Syria
Paris killings: suspected accomplice Hayat Boumeddiene may be in Syria

Paris killings: suspected accomplice Hayat Boumeddiene may be in Syria

World leaders join hundreds of thousands in Paris solidarity march
World leaders join hundreds of thousands in Paris solidarity march

World leaders join hundreds of thousands in Paris solidarity march

Agency predicts mass migration of French Jews to Israel following attacks
Agency predicts mass migration of French Jews to Israel following attacks

Agency predicts mass migration of French Jews to Israel following attacks

JK Rowling attacks Rupert Murdoch after he blames all Muslims for jihad

JK Rowling attacks Rupert Murdoch after he blames all Muslims for jihad

News
Christian woman convicted over offer of help in abortion clinic buffer zone
Christian woman convicted over offer of help in abortion clinic buffer zone

A Christian woman has been convicted of breaching an abortion clinic buffer zone after holding a sign offering help. 

Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation
Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck central Myanmar last week has intensified the hardship faced by the country’s religious minorities, plunging already vulnerable Christian communities into deeper crisis and displacement.

Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace
Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace

A bishop from Jerusalem has told of the plight of ordinary people in the West Bank.

Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq
Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq

An apparent lone Islamist hospitalised three people at a Christian festival