Slain journalist Steven Sotloff was Jewish, had dual American-Israeli citizenship

Steven Sotloff Wall Street Journal/Facebook

An Israeli spokesman revealed Wednesday that slain American journalist Steven Sotloff was also a citizen of Israel.

Sotloff was kidnapped in Syria in August 2013, and ended up in the hands of the Islamic State (IS). A video released Tuesday showed Sotloff being executed by his captors.

A former hostage who was held with Sotloff reported that the journalist would pretend to be sick so that he could fast during the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur, according to Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.

Sotloff's work also appeared in Israeli news publications, a fact that the outlets withheld out of caution.

"We refused to acknowledge any relationship with him in case it was dangerous for him," Jerusalem Report editor Avi Hoffman told Reuters.

Israeli media reported that Sotloff immigrated to Israel in 2005, became a citizen, and attended the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya, a college near Tel Aviv. The 30-year-old also studied journalism at the University of Central Florida, and wrote for the Christian Science Monitor, Time Magazine, the World Affairs Journal, and other outlets.

The White House confirmed Wednesday morning that the video showing the freelance reporter's beheading was authentic.

"Overnight, our government confirmed that, tragically, Steven was taken from us in a horrific act of violence," President Obama said in a news conference.

"Those who make the mistake of harming Americans will learn that we will not forget and that our reach is long and that justice will be served."

The death video comes two weeks to the day that a video showing the execution of American photojournalist James Foley was released by IS. The 40-year-old was covering the Syrian civil war when he was kidnapped nearly two years ago.

Foley's death was prompted by U.S. airstrikes in Iraq and Syria, and the missile attacks have continued in the weeks since. The IS said on Tuesday's video that Sotloff's death is in retaliation for the continued military action.

"[As long as missiles] continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people," a masked man stated.

It is unclear how many hostages IS has in their custody, although a U.S. official revealed there are a "small number" of Americans being held captive. The life of a British citizen, David Cawthorne Haines, was also threatened on video.

News
Christian woman convicted over sign that offered conversation in abortion clinic buffer zone
Christian woman convicted over sign that offered conversation in abortion clinic buffer zone

A Christian woman has been convicted of breaching an abortion clinic buffer zone after holding a sign offering help. 

Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation
Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck central Myanmar last week has intensified the hardship faced by the country’s religious minorities, plunging already vulnerable Christian communities into deeper crisis and displacement.

Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace
Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace

A bishop from Jerusalem has told of the plight of ordinary people in the West Bank.

Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq
Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq

An apparent lone Islamist hospitalised three people at a Christian festival