Ukraine's pro-Russian rebels are using banned heavy weapons, government says

Newly mobilized Ukrainian paratroopers carry an anti-tank grenade launcher during a military drill near Zhytomyr. Fighting is intensifying again in the region. Reuters

Ukraine's military accused pro-Russian rebels on Monday of using heavy weapons that were meant to have been withdrawn under a ceasefire deal, after one Ukrainian serviceman was killed and six wounded in rebel-held territories.

With fighting intensifying once more, the foreign ministers of Ukraine, Russia, France and Germany were due to meet in Berlin later on Monday to discuss the next steps in implementing a ceasefire agreement signed in the Belarusian capital Minsk in February.

"The rebels have not stopped firing at Ukrainian positions ... Over the past day, the enemy has used weapons banned under the Minsk agreements," Ukrainian military spokesman Oleksandr Motuzyanyk said in a televised briefing.

Under the deal, weapons bigger than 100 mm calibre, including heavy artillery and powerful rocket systems, are meant to have been withdrawn from the front line.

Motuzyanyk said rebels had fired at government troops multiple times with 120-122 mm weapons.

article,article,article,article Related

Meanwhile separatist officials accused government troops of firing tank and artillery rounds repeatedly at rebel positions, the separatist news agency DAN reported.

It also quoted senior rebel commander Eduard Basurin as saying two local journalists had been wounded by Ukrainian firing around Pisky, near the rebel-held city of Donetsk.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which is monitoring the implementation of the ceasefire deal, also reported a sharp spike in hostilities over the weekend.

Speaking ahead of the four-way talks, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said he and his German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier were concerned by the ceasefire violations and a lack of political progress in Ukraine.

"We are going to remind our colleagues, both Russian and Ukrainian, that the Minsk process must be respected and must be respected before the end of the year," he told reporters.

Samantha Power, the US ambassador to the United Nations, said in a Twitter post Monday evening: "Concerned by reports of resumed heavy fighting in eastern Ukraine. It's imperative that OSCE monitors have unfettered access immediately."

Over 6,000 have been killed since the conflict erupted a year ago, when rebels opposed to the ousting of a Moscow-backed president and the installation of a pro-Western government declared independence from Kiev. Ukraine and the West say they have evidence that Russia has sent men and weapons to support the rebels, a charge Moscow denies.

related articles
Thousands file past Boris Nemtsov\'s coffin as shooting reveals Kremlin faultlines
Thousands file past Boris Nemtsov's coffin as shooting reveals Kremlin faultlines

Thousands file past Boris Nemtsov's coffin as shooting reveals Kremlin faultlines

Pro-Russian rebels are using truce to amass arms, says Ukraine military
Pro-Russian rebels are using truce to amass arms, says Ukraine military

Pro-Russian rebels are using truce to amass arms, says Ukraine military

Russian annexation of Crimea 'paints a disturbing picture' of religious intolerance

Russian annexation of Crimea 'paints a disturbing picture' of religious intolerance

Crimea: Only one per cent of religious organisations re-registered since Russian annexation
Crimea: Only one per cent of religious organisations re-registered since Russian annexation

Crimea: Only one per cent of religious organisations re-registered since Russian annexation

News
Christian woman convicted over sign that offered conversation in abortion clinic buffer zone
Christian woman convicted over sign that offered conversation in abortion clinic buffer zone

A Christian woman has been convicted of breaching an abortion clinic buffer zone after holding a sign offering help. 

Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation
Myanmar Christians face dual crisis of earthquake and marginalisation

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck central Myanmar last week has intensified the hardship faced by the country’s religious minorities, plunging already vulnerable Christian communities into deeper crisis and displacement.

Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace
Jerusalem bishop calls for 'courageous' leadership to bring peace

A bishop from Jerusalem has told of the plight of ordinary people in the West Bank.

Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq
Three hospitalised as Islamist attacks Christian festival in Iraq

An apparent lone Islamist hospitalised three people at a Christian festival